Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Transgender & Non-binary Resource Guide

Last updated: March 2019

(Click here for the print-friendly pamphlet)




UT Psychological Clinic

Phone: 865-974-2161


Address: 208 Conference Center Building; 600 Henley Street

Services: Individual counseling, couples counseling, testing and evaluations

Special Instructions: Not covered by student health fee. Fees are flexible and income-dependent (sliding scale). There is an intake fee of $40. Call to schedule your first appointment. Say “I want to work with Dr. Flores’s group” to make sure you’re working with the most supportive people available. They also can do evaluations for hormone treatment (some providers still require these) and for surgery. Those will be $25 an hour in addition to the $40 intake fee, and will generally take anywhere from 3-4 hours. There may be a waitlist depending on the time of year.


Planned Parenthood

Phone: 865-694-7155


Address: 710 North Cherry Street

Services: Gender affirming hormone therapy and gyn services such as routine cancer screenings in a patient-focused and supportive environment, STI testing, and contraception. Once a patient-provider relationship has been established they provide letters for change of gender on legal documents.

Special Instructions: Not walking distance from campus. Affordable care, culturally competent providers. Birth control resupplies and pregnancy testing offered on a drop in basis during normal hours. All other services require an appointment. Appointments can be scheduled by phone or online at


UT Student Health Center

Phone: 865-974-3648


Address: 1800 Volunteer Blvd.

Services: Only currently enrolled students at UTK who have paid the health fee can be seen. Student insurance covers free visits to seek hormone treatment with testosterone injection, oral estrogen and the patch (though patch copays can get more expensive). UTSHC does not subsidize hormones, but they provide guidance in affording hormones. Pharmacy on site.

Special Instructions: The only doctor at this location who prescribes hormones is Dr. Rebecca Morgan. Contact her receptionist Jessica at 865-974-5663 to set an appointment and while on the phone identify yourself as wanting to be seen in the Gender Clinic. No letter of referral needed.


Q Card Project


Services: Free Q Cards for you to fill in and give to your doctor to inform them of your name, pronouns, sexual orientation, gender identity and any topics you want to discuss with your healthcare provider. Q Card also has a tear-off panel with tips for providing sensitive care for queer and trans youth.


STUDENT HOUSING (on campus):


University Housing


Address: 405 Student Services Building

Services: Offers academic year and calendar year housing contracts for multiple residence hall styles on campus. University Housing policy is to assign students based on the gender on file with Undergraduate Admissions.

Special Instructions: Contact the Assistant Director for Assignments and Accommodations directly to discuss individual student situations. (Currently Joel Kramer –






Services: Involves multiple offices and provides rapid follow-up.

What to report: A bias-related incident is any act of bigotry, harassment, intimidation, coercion, or damage to property by known or unknown perpetrators that occurs on campus or within an area that impacts the UT community and which an individual can reasonably conclude is directed at a member or a group of the UT community due to that individual’s or group’s actual or perceived age, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any combination of these or related factors.




Address: Student Union, Suite 383

Services: If you feel distressed, in crisis, or worried about a friend, call this Helpline, staffed by mental health professionals 24/7.


Hill Topics


Special Instructions: See sections on Nondiscrimination, Stalking, and Incidents of Bias. Also click the link on the left of the page “Student Supports” to access information about many on-campus resources (including the Pride Center, Office of Equity & Diversity, etc.).




Pride Center

Phone: 865-974-7803




Address: Melrose Hall F (next to Hodges Library)

Services: Safe Space. Open M-R 9am-9pm and F 9am-6pm.





Services: Graduate student social organization, monthly meetings/socials are usually held at an off-campus restaurant


Commission for LGBT People at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville

The Commission is committed to the protection and advancement of LGBT students, faculty, and staff at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Meetings are the first Monday of every month at noon.




Knoxville Chapter of the Trans Empowerment Project 

Main website:

Overall Goal: Making Trans Empowerment Project a national resource for the trans community. Mission Statement: Bridging the gap between the Trans community and our allies while creating positive resources for empowerment through community building, education, and advocacy.

The best way to stay informed is through their Facebook page.



The Qloset is a 100% free, queer friendly open clothing option for UT students, faculty, and staff. The Qloset has gender neutral and gender affirming clothing, shoes, and accessories, all available for browsing in a supportive environment. The Qloset is sponsored by the Trans and Nonbinary Subcommittee of the UTK Commission for LGBT People, in partnership with the Pride Center. Gently used or new donations can be dropped at the Pride Center (see address/contact above).

Check the Pride Center Facebook for updates on pop-up locations and dates.



SOFFA (Significant Others, Friends, Family, Supportive Allies, Children (16 and up) of gender transition seeking Transgender/Transsexual persons internet group:

LGBT Rehab Center:




UT Student Counseling Center

Phone: 865-974-2196


Address: 1800 Volunteer Blvd. second floor

Services: Individual and couples counseling (up to 12 sessions per year), group therapy, psychiatric services. Initial services by drop-in M-F 10am-3:30pm (hours during summer and vacation vary). Must be an enrolled student to access services beyond drop-in.

The SCC has preferred name and gender identity specifiers on their forms, and providers are welcoming. However, current providers do not have specialized knowledge/training of the trans/non-binary/gender variant community. But, they can provide mental health care for general wellness and refer trans, non-binary, or gender variant populations to the gender clinic in Student Health to consult with Dr. Morgan.


Lambda Law Society



Lambda Legal Help Desk

Phone: 866-542-8336


Services: the help desk offers useful information and help finding an attorney in your area; for up-to-date information on the laws in Tennessee visit:; information about your legal rights:




Address: Humanities and Social Sciences Building

Services: Undergraduate LGBT social organization. Meets Wednesday 6-7pm in HSS 53-A.